Here's the bootzin technique for conditional insomniacs:
1. Go to bed only when you are sleepy.
2. Use the bed only for sleeping; do not read, watch TV, or eat in bed.
3. If you're unable to sleep, get up and move to another room. Stay up until you are really sleepy, then return to bed. If sleep still doesn't come easily, get out of bed again. The goal is to asoociate the bed not with frustration and sleeplessness, but with falling asleep easily and quickly.
4. Repeat step 3 as necessary throughout the night.
5. Set the alarm and get up at the same time every morning, regardless of how much or how little you slept during the night. This helps the body to acquire a constant sleep-wake rhythm.
6.Do not nap during the day.